Fire officials: Don't plug space heaters into power strips

SPOKANE, Wash.— As the weather keeps getting colder people are reaching for their space heaters. 

Umatilla County Fire District One reminded people to never plug heaters into power strips. 

According to the Electrical Safety Foundation International’s website, heating equipment is the second leading cause of home fires in the United States. 

ESFI reported there were more than 65,000 home fires attributed to heating equipment a year.

Fire officials explained this is because power strips aren’t designed to handle the high current flow needed for space heaters and can overheat or catch on fire.

Umatilla County Fire District officials said space heaters should be plugged directly into a wall outlet.  
Editor's Note: The Umatilla County Fire District later deleted their post with a photo of a melted power strip. The power strip photo appears to not have belonged to them and is from 2014. KREM 2 deleted the photo in question from the story to avoid copyright infringement.

© 2017 KREM-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment
TRENDING VIDEOS