Judge releases WSU assault suspect, documents name additional suspects




Posted on April 11, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Updated Thursday, Apr 11 at 5:22 PM

 COLFAX, Wash. -- A Whitman County judge decided on Thursday afternoon to release a Washington State University student accused of attacking a professor.

The judge ordered Joshua W. Nantz, 23, to appear in court again on Friday, April 19th. Nantz was ordered to remain at his current address and not contact the other three suspects. The judge also mandated that Nantz cannot have alcohol or visit any bars.

Court documents claimed that Nantz and three others attacked Dr. David Warner on March 30th in a Pullman parking lot.  One suspect punched Warner while two others tackled him according to the police report.

Warner suffered serious head injuries. Documents showed that Warner suffered severe head injuries and required emergency surgery. Doctors removed a piece of Warner’s skull according to the paperwork.  Sacred Heart Medical Center staff upgraded Warner’s condition to serious on Thursday.

Paperwork filed in court showed that police also consider Robert Bean and Matt Soriano. suspects. The two men have not been arrested.  Police arrested Nantz and Madeline Fouts, 21, on Wednesday.

Fouts was released from custody at about 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday.  She had been arrested for Rendering Criminal Assistance (felony) and Providing False Statements to a Public Servant.  Police said Fouts is cooperating with investigators and was not directly involved in the physical assault.

Officers credited an annoymous tip with leading them to Fouts on Wednesday. Fouts’ boyfriend confirmed the names of all four suspects to police according to court documents.
Prosecutor had not decided how to charge Nantz before the hearing on Thursday afternoon. The judge explained that Nantz could be charged with first degree assault.

The defense lawyer said that Nantz does not have any criminal history. However, family friends of Dr. Warner expressed concerns in court about Nantz’s release.

Lawyers revealed in court that Nantz graduated from high school in Western Washington. He attended community college before enrolling at WSU. Nantz was planning to enroll for summer classes at WSU according to lawyers.