Washington car thieves are in love with Japanese models.
That’s according to the National Insurance Crime Bureau, which released its stolen car statistics Wednesday.
Japanese cars make up seven of the top ten most stolen cars in the state.
All of the cars and trucks are older than a 2004 model. The bureau attributes this to those vehicles being easier to steal and take apart.
Spokane ranks fourth in the nation for auto thefts, according to NICB. Seattle ranks twelfth.
The most stolen vehicles in Washington last year were:
1. 1992 Honda Accord
2. 1995 Honda Civic
3. 1995 Acura Integra
4. 1990 Toyota Camry
5. 1996 Subaru Legacy
6. 1992 Chevrolet Pick-Up (Full Size)
7. 1994 Nissan Sentra
8. 1995 Saturn SI
9. 1991 Chevrolet Pick-Up (Small Size)
10. 2003 Toyota Corolla
The National Insurance Crime Bureau lists the top 10 stolen vehicles in Idaho as follows:
1. 2006 Ford Pickup (Full Size)
2. 1994 Chevrolet Pick-Up (Full Size)
3. 1998 Dodge Pick-Up (Full Size)
4. 1994 Honda Accord
5. 1991 Toyota Camry
6. 1994 Chevrolet Pickup (Small Size)
7. 1994 Ford Taurus
8. 1986 GMC Pick-Up (Full Size)
9. 1998 Dodge Caravan
10. 1997 Ford Explorer
NICB.org offers the following tips to help prevent vehicle theft:
• Keep your doors locked and windows completely rolled up
• Remove keys from the ignition, even when briefly stepping away from your car
• Keep valuable items such as bags, purses, cell phones and briefcases out of sight
• Always park your vehicle in well-lit areas
• Always activate your vehicle's security or alarm system when parked