Colin Kaepernick on receiving death threats: Violence would prove my point

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick told reporters on Tuesday that he has received death threats in the weeks since he began his national anthem protest.

"If something like that were to happen, you've proved my point,” Kaepernick said, according to the Bay Area News Group, noting he had not brought the threats to security's attention for that reason. “It'll be loud and clear for everyone why it happened, and that would move this movement forward at a greater speed than what it is even now.

“Granted, it’s not how I want it to happen, but that’s the realization of what could happen. I knew there were other things that came along with this when I first stood up and spoke about it. It’s not something I haven’t thought about.”

Kaepernick has taken a knee during the national anthem, a move he said is meant to draw attention to racial inequality and police brutality. On Friday, a Tulsa police officer shot and killed Terrence Crutcher, an unarmed black man.

“This is a perfect example of what this is about,” Kaepernick said. “It will be very telling about what happens to the officer that killed him.”

Kaepernick said he had been the target of taunts throughout Sunday's loss to the Carolina Panthers.

“There’s a lot of racism disguised as patriotism in this country and people don’t like to address that and they don’t like to address what the root of this protest is," Kaepernick said.

Kaepernick also outlined a plan for the $1 million donation he pledged earlier in September. He said he will donate $100,000 a month for the next 10 months and is setting up a web site so the public can track how the money is spent.

Copyright 2016 KXTV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment