TWISP, Wash.-- The community affected by the Carlton Complex fire rallied to support each other in July after the fire knocked out power for more than 3,000 people.
One business owner said he spent almost all of his money on power generators so he could stay open for everyone else. Owner Jeff Lyman had the Carlton General Store running while most people were still without power.
“Biggest thing here is making sure we have gas and porpane going,” Lyman said. “People have a lot of generators out there, trying to make sure we can all get taken care of.”
The Carlton General Store became a hub for community information. Neighbors went there to post updates about the fire and told people without generators where they could find them. Among them, Gail Chedester. She lost her home in the fire.
“That will never be replaced, my children’s pictures, all my documents,” Chedester said.
Still, Chedester came to Lyman’s store and signed up to help others. The next store is nearly ten miles away and Lyman promised not to leave.
“I have to make sure I’m here for everybody,” he said.
The Public Utility District said Twisp was affected with the most outages. The PUD hoped to have power restored within three to five days, but said it could be longer.