SPOKANE, Wash. -- Special Olympics Washington will attempt to pull a commercial aircraft as part of a fundraiser. It is structured as a competition where teams of up to 20 face off while pulling a 138,400 pound Boeing 272 aircraft 12 feet.
People who wish to participate need to pledge $30 to be automatically entered to win two round trip tickets through Southwest Airlines. Additionally prizes will be available to top fundraisers and pull teams.
The event is put on with help from the Spokane International Airport and local members of the Law Enforcement Torch Run Campaign.
Parking and admission to the event are free. Participants are the only ones required to pledge money.
Here are driving directions to the event:
- The Plane is parked at 7700 West Flightline Boulevard, which is located on the east side of the airfield at Spokane International Airport.
- From downtown, drive west bound on Interstate 90 and take Exit 276, “Geiger Boulevard.”
- From the off-ramp stay to your right, which leads to the intersection with Geiger Boulevard.
- After stopping at the stop sign, proceed straight and enter the “Spokane International Airport Business Park” and you will be on Flightline Boulevard.
- Flightline Boulevard terminates at the airfield’s security fence and you will see the B-727 parked on your left, which is the south side of the street.
Registration and check in will begin at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday and the first pull will begin at 10:30 a.m.