Man fatally shot near Salvation Army, four officers fired weapons



Posted on August 22, 2013 at 6:50 AM

Updated Friday, Dec 6 at 3:30 PM

SPOKANE, Wash. -- Officers fatally shot an unarmed man outside the Salvation Army on Thursday morning in North Spokane. The Spokane Police Chief later said the Daniel C. Jones, 40, was stopped by authorities. He later began ramming marked police vehicles according to officers.

PHOTOS: Investigators at the crime scene

Law enforcement leaders said Jones was driving a red truck Thursday morning. The incident began when the red truck collided with a white truck near Main and Division according to authorities. They stated that the driver of the white truck called 911 to report the crash. The caller said that is when Jones made a u-turn and hit him again near East North River Drive and Ruby.

"Both vehicles left the scene with the white truck following the red truck," said Spokane Police Chief Frank Straub. "Both trucks were northbound on Division. They passed a marked Spokane Police car parked on Division." 

WATCH: Uncut police press conference

Police responded to the call and attempted to box in the red truck near Indiana and Ruby. Spokane Police Chief Frank Straub said Jones then began ramming police vehicles. The suspect failed to stop when ordered to by police according to Straub.

"The driver of the red truck then began ramming police vehicles," said Chief Straub. "A witness indicated the suspect was trying to strike officers with his vehicle."

Four SPD officers fired their guns at Jones around 6:00 a.m. The names of the officers will be released within 72 hours of the shooting according to SPD officials.

Jones was taken to the hospital and pronounced dead according to SPD leaders.

Straub said the entire incident happened within four minutes.

Jones' parents said the whole thing unfolded right in front of his wife and three children who live at The Salvation Army. Jones' father said his son was sitting inside the truck when he was shot by officers.

"He was like a teddy bear, " Daniel Jones, Sr. said. "He was a big guy. He was good to his kids. He was good to other people."

Jones' wife Nancy spoke with KREM 2 News the afternoon after the fatal shooting.

"I don't know how to deal with it. I don't know what I'm going to do...I don' seems like a bad dream," Nancy Jones said. "He is my best friend...all I ever had all I ever wanted."

WATCH: Daniel Jones' wife speaks to KREM 2 News

The investigation that followed closed the Salvation Army and several North Spokane roadways. Police closed the intersection of Main and Division to traffic as well as the area surrounding Indiana and Ruby. Indiana was shut down from Ruby to Lidgerwood. Police activity also shut down Division Street between Main Street to North River Drive. The roadway was later reopened around 11:15 a.m.

Salvation Army officials said Jones lived at their shelter.

Investigators towed a white truck from the scene as evidence.

A woman who lives in a nearby apartment said she heard the "pop, pop, pop, pop" of gunshots outside the Salvation Army. Leaders at the Salvation Army of Spokane are cooperating with the Spokane Police Department as part of an ongoing investigation.

Due to the investigation, all programs at The Salvation Army campus were temporarily closed until further notification. That included access to the Food Bank, The Nurturing Center and other programs.  The Housing & Essential Needs Program (HEN) was open with access through the Indiana and Lidgerwood administration entrance.

The Spokane Investigative Regional Response Team (SIRR) comprised of the Spokane County Sheriff’s Office, Washington State Patrol and the Spokane Police Department will investigate this incident.

Spokane Police did confirm that Jones was not armed but they said a Police Officer had to jump out of the way because he was afraid Jones was going to hit him with the vehicle.

Watch KREM 2 News at 5:00 and 6:00 p.m. for complete coverage.