Lewis and Clark High School student arrested for making threats


by KREM.com


Posted on June 6, 2014 at 6:23 AM

Updated Friday, Jun 6 at 6:54 PM

SPOKANE, Wash. – Spokane Police arrested a Lewis and Clark High School student Friday for making threats to harm/kill students, faculty and himself.

Authorities received a report Friday afternoon from a concerned citizen who said a male student at the high school was making threats to hurt others at the school. Police followed up on the report and found the student.

The student was arrested and placed into Juvenile Detention. He was charged with Felony Harassment -- Threats to Kill.

The principal at Lewis and Clark High School said he learned of the threats after school on Thursday.

“Anytime there is a threat to students or staff and there is a potential for safety, we react,” said principal Jeremy Ochse.

Ochse said he received an email from a parent about a threat on Thursday. The 15-year-old student wrote an email making threatening statements toward a teacher and his fellow students, including the threat to kill, according to court documents. Ochse said he passed the message on to a resource officer as soon as he learned about the threat. Spokane Police became involved.

“I think we always try to take it as serious as we can. I feel just great about how this all played out yesterday because I really see it as kind of text book what we teach our kids. We teach that kids if you are ever worried or feel unsafe to let people know right away, let adults know so we can act,” said Ochse.

Court documents showed the student admitted to authorities that he wrote the email. Documents added that he told police that there were guns available at his father’s house. The victims were made aware of the threat and were in fear of their lives, according to court documents.

“It makes me sad. It makes me sad. It makes we want to put the pieces in place just to keep kids safe,” said Ochse.

A probation official in juvenile court said the boy had done well in school. The official said the boy had taken Advanced Placement classes.

In court of Friday, a judge denied the request that the student be released.

Ochse said he informed students and staff at Lewis and Clark that school was safe on Friday.

Some parents wondered why they did not receive notification on Thursday about the threat.

“We didn't have enough information and we knew that it was safe. School was safe and wanted to make sure we had the information correct before we passed information on to parents,” said Ochse.

Ochse planned to email parents on Friday night.

The investigation into the incident is ongoing. Officials said additional charges could be added. Spokane Police did not believe there were any other outstanding suspects and were working with Spokane Public Schools to maintain safety and security.