SPOKANE, Wash. -- Authorities responded to a gas leak near Rockwood Blvd. and Sumner Ave. Monday around 10:45 a.m.
Officials said a person using excavation equipment was digging and hit and broke a four inch gas line. The line was damaged by a contractor’s backhoe.
Roosevelt Elementary school was evacuated around 11:40 a.m. because of the leak but students and staff were let back inside the building at 12:20 p.m. Monday.
The leak was several blocks away but the people at the school were able to smell the natural gas. The Spokane Fire Department and Avista arrived at Roosevelt Elementary and determined there was no leak on site and no sign of danger.
Fire divisions helped monitor gas and helped move occupants of nearby housing to safe areas within their structures.
Avista reported that 56 meter sites were without gas service on Monday.
Avista responded to the gas leak at 8th and Cowley.
The line was capped just before 1:00 p.m. Monday. A five block radius was blocked off.