S. Spokane garage fire ruled accidental; homeowner injured

S. Spokane garage fire ruled accidental; homeowner injured

S. Spokane garage fire ruled accidental; homeowner injured

Print
Email
|

by KREM.com

KREM.com

Posted on July 14, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Updated Sunday, Jul 14 at 3:45 PM

SPOKANE, Wash. - The fire that destroyed a garage in the South Hill neighborhood Saturday afternoon was ruled accidental.

The first units on scene reported a two-car detached garage fully involved with a car inside. Neighbors stated that there may have been a victim inside the garage, so crews began advancing hose leads with the intent of attempting to locate and remove the possible victim. Fortunately, the homeowner, who was thought to be the victim, was seen outside his home. He did suffer first and second degree burns to his hands, and was treated by paramedics at the scene.

Crews then directed their efforts to confine the rapidly spreading fire. In addition to the primary garage fire, a storage building, a neighbor’s house and garage, and the house associated with the primary garage were burning or beginning to burn. Because of the large volume of fire, the number and type of structures exposed to the fire and the burn victim, a second alarm was called. 

All fire was extinguished within one hour, but crews remained on scene for 3 more hours completing overhaul and final extinguishment. One firefighter suffered a hand laceration and was transported to Sacred Heart Medical Center for treatment.

The cause of this fire was investigated by the Spokane Fire Department’s Special Investigation Unit and determined to be accidental.

The garage was a total loss.  The house at this address sustained damage to the siding and roof, as well as smoke and water damage throughout the interior.  One vehicle was destroyed and one was heavily damaged.  Total damage is estimated at $100,000.


 

Print
Email
|