SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. -- No one was hurt when fire broke out at a home early Thursday morning.
Sheriff’s deputies were first on the scene around 4 a.m. at East Valley Way near Adams Rd Thursday, and helped get four people living at the home to safety.
Officials said the fire started in the back side of the home. At one point, flames could reportedly be seen shooting from the roof.
Firefighters extinguished the fire within 20 minutes.
According to investigators, neighbors rang the door bell and alerted the residents who were asleep at the time the fire broke out. The home had smoke alarms, but they did not sound because officials said the fire was located in the wall and into the attic space.
The fire was believed to have been caused by an overloaded electrical cord plugged into an outside outlet.
The Red Cross was called to the scene to assist the displaced residents find temporary housing.
It was not immediately known how badly the home was damaged.