Fire chars garage, leaves dozens without power in North Spokane

Print
Email
|

by KREM.com

KREM.com

Posted on August 10, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Updated Sunday, Aug 11 at 7:21 AM

SPOKANE, Wash. -- A garage caught fire in North Spokane after a transformer and power pole exploded in flames Saturday.  The fire left dozens of homes in the neighborhood without power.

The fire happened near the intersection of West Carlisle Avenue and North Lincoln Street, just south of the Monroe Street hill.  Avista said multiple lightning strikes caused transformers all over Spokane to blow overnight Friday into Saturday.  The power pole fire in North Spokane was just one such incident.

Avista said at the peak of the blackout nearly 10,000 customers were without power.  Linemen worked throughout the night Friday and all day Saturday to get everything turned back on.

Avista said about 40 homes remained without power after the incident at Carlisle and Lincoln.  Crews restored power later Saturday evening.

Neighbors said they heard a loud explosion and it shook their windows.

"It was just a big boom,” Sherrie Bordner said, “and there was a lot of black smoke and fire and the neighbors were trying to get the garden hoses out before the fire department got here and got it pretty maintained."

There were no reports of any injuries.  One side of the small garage near the pole was damaged by the flames.

Print
Email
|