Family displaced after furnace fire in N. Spokane home

Print
Email
|

by JORDAN LONGACRE & KREM.com

KREM.com

Posted on January 1, 2014 at 7:25 AM

Updated Wednesday, Jan 1 at 3:03 PM

SPOKANE, Wash. -- Firefighters responded to a reported house fire in North Spokane Wednesday morning.

The family living at the home on the 3100 block of W. Wellesley called 911 around 5:30 a.m.  They reported heavy smoke coming from the upstairs floor.

Firefighters evacuated the family living at the home while crews investigated.  The smoke was determined to have come from a faulty gas furnace.  Smoke filled the house but no flames were visible, authorities said.

Avista crews were called in to shut off the furnace.  In the meantime, streets in the area were blocked while firefighters aired out the home.

Due to the inoperable furnace, the family of two adults, two teenagers, and one infant were displaced and being assisted by the Red Cross until repairs could be made.

Avista has disconnected natural gas service to the home.

There was light smoke damage throughout the home. The furnace must be repaired and inspected before the family can move back in according to fire officials.

No injuries to civilians or firefighters were reported.

The furnace fire caused an estimated $10,000 in damage.
 

Print
Email
|