Mom and son escape duplex fire near Adams Elementary

Print
Email
|

by MIKE GONZALEZ & KREM.com

KREM.com

Posted on April 9, 2014 at 7:34 AM

Updated Wednesday, Apr 9 at 9:05 AM

SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. -- No one was injured when a fire sparked at a duplex near Adams Elementary late Tuesday night.

Fire officials said crews responded to the home near 7th Ave. and Adams Rd. around 10 p.m.  A woman sleeping downstairs in one of the units said she heard a loud crash that sounded like glass breaking and thought someone had broken in.  She ran to the kitchen and discovered the fire.

The woman grabbed her 8-year-old son and made it out of the house safely, authorities said.  The other side of the duplex was unoccupied.

When the first fire engine arrived on scene they reported flames were coming out of the roof. The fire was upgraded to a working fire which added additional resources.

Fire Investigators determined that the fire was started by an improperly disposed cigarette on the back deck. Winds may have added to the spread of the fire which raced through the attic.

Damages to the structure and contents could exceed $60,000, investigators said. The home was insured, but authorities said the tenant did not have renters insurance.

Print
Email
|