MEDICAL LAKE, Wash. -- Authorities determined a heat lamp in a chicken coop sparked a fire in Medical Lake.
Fire crews said it started around 4:30 a.m. Wednesday near the intersection of Joshua and Graham. Fire crews arrived to find flames shooting out of the garage. They managed to quickly stomp out the fire before it spread to a nearby home.
As they investigated, the homeowner alerted crews there was a heat lamp inside of a chicken coop in the garage. Several ATVs, a boat, pick-up truck and a SUV were all destroyed in the garage.
The homeowners slept through the initial commotion. A neighbor threw a bottle of antifreeze through a window to wake the couple.
The firefighters and residents escaped without injury. One chicken died in the fire.
The damage is estimated to surpass $100,000.