Benevolent fund set up for Hayden family after house fire



Posted on April 7, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Updated Tuesday, Apr 8 at 6:21 AM

HAYDEN, Idaho.--A benevolent fund was established at the Hayden branch of Wells Fargo Bank for a family whose house was ruined in a fire.

Donations may be made at any Wells Fargo branch by mentioning the “Evelyn Scrabeck benefit donation account.”

Northern Lakes Fire Protection District responded to the fire around 8:45 a.m. Monday.  Homeowner Evelyn Scrabeck called to report smelling smoke and noticed a clothes dryer on fire. She evacuated the home with two young children being cared for during the day, ages one and three years old, according to officials.
Two other residents, children of the homeowner, a 13-year-old girl and a 12-year-old boy, were at school at the time, according to authorities. Scrabeck told authorities she had no insurance.
Crews said they arrived to smoke coming out of the roof vents.  Authorities said fire was found in the utility area and kitchen. Officials said the home received extensive smoke and fire damage in the kitchen and utility room with heavy smoke damage in living room and a bedroom. 
Scrabeck said she had family members who she and her two children could stay with.
Several pets survived the fire but a cat and fish did not survive. Crews left the scene around 12:30 p.m.

Around 2:45 p.m., the fire was rekindled, according to officials.  Authorities said a call to 911 was made by a family member who had been by gathering items from the home.  After retrieving a dog from inside and exiting immediately after, she called 911 again to report there were now flames coming from the vents.
Crews arrived to heavy smoke and flames from a re-kindle of the original fire.
The fire spread throughout the attic area of the home and caused extensive fire and water damage with ceilings collapsed throughout the home, according to authorities.

No injuries were reported to residents or responders.
The initial fire appeared to be from the area of the dryer as reported by both resident and first-in crews.

The cause was undetermined.