BAYVIEW, Idaho—A boat explosion injured a 70-year-old man and his eight-year-old grandson near MacDonald’s Hudson Bay Resort.
The Kootenai County Sheriff said the 1966 Tollycraft cabin cruiser exploded around 2:00 p.m. Fire investigators checked out the aftermath and believe fuel vapors in the engines’ bilge that had not been properly evacuated prior to starting the vessel.
Emergency crews raced the victims to a nearby hospital. Richard Wagner, 70, and his grandson suffered severe burns and were later moved to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle according to authorities.
As of Wednesday, Wagner was listed in satisfactory condition. The hospital did not release an update on the eight-year-old boy.
Witnesses helped pull the victims from the water after they jumped overboard.
"When me and my brother pulled him out of the water, he was in pain, but he was more worried about his grandpa" said Brian Mock.
The pair were visiting a family member who lives on a floating home nearby according to the MacDonald’s Hudson Bay Resort owner.
Authorities said the witnesses also pushed the boat out of the slip because it was still on fire.