Murder victim owed business partner $1.88 million



Posted on January 15, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Updated Tuesday, Feb 25 at 4:43 PM

SPOKANE, Wash. – Court records released Tuesday morning detailed how a suspect was caught following the South Hill murder of Douglas Carlile. Officers arrested Timothy E. Suckow, 50, Monday night for the December shooting death of Carlile.

Officers found 63-year-old Carlile shot to death in his home near 25th and Garfield. Authorities previously stated it appeared a gunman was waiting for Carlile and his wife to come into their home.  Carlile was shot multiple times in his kitchen.  He died at the scene. His wife escaped without injury.

READ: Complete court document detailing murder investigation
CONNECT: Live updates about the #DougCarlileMurder

Suckow made his first court appearance at 1:30 p.m. Tuesday to face 1st Degree Murder charges. Prior to court, records were released which detailed the murder investigation and the connection to the North Dakota oil industry. Federal investigators assisted in the investigation, but authorities said their work was not over.


    WATCH: Murder victim’s wife speaks with KREM 2 News

    WATCH: Victim's neighbors relieved suspect is in custody

Carlile’s wife caught a glimpse of the shooter. Court records showed that detectives found the ski mask in Suckow’s vehicle. Carlile’s wife described the shooter wearing as a similar mask.

Records also detailed that detectives found footprints in the mud outside and a leather glove near the crime scene.  DNA on the glove matches Suckow according to court records.

Officers also recovered seven .45 caliber casings and five bullets at the murder scene. The two remaining bullets were pulled from Carlile’s body during his autopsy.


     WATCH: Evidence leads police to an IRS Environmental employee

On January 13, officers impounded a 1995 Chevrolet extended van from a company called IRS Environmental in Spokane Valley. The van matched the description of the vehicle spotted near the crime scene. The owner of IRS Environmental told police that Suckow has kept the white work van overnight in the past. IRS Environmental’s owner was unable to verify whether Suckow had the van the night of the Carlile murder.

A neighbor’s security camera caught images of the van on the night of the murder. Detectives used the video and Department of Licensing records to narrow down vehicles matching the security footage. The IRS Environmental van turned up as a positive match according to authorities.

A different neighbor spotted the van circling the neighborhood. She spoke to KREM 2 News in December and claimed she called police prior to the murder to report the van. Authorities never responded to the call. A third neighbor reported seeing the van. He described a “bald white male with an athletic build” inside the van.


     WATCH: Operations plan found in murder suspect's SUV

     WATCH: Suspected killer's past includes devil worshipping

     WATCH: Neighbors worry about murder suspect's family

Detectives searched Suckow’s personal vehicle following the impounding of the white work van. Court records described what authorities found in Suckow’s green 1997 Chevrolet Tahoe. A black mask was found in the vehicle matching the description of the mask Carlile’s wife described the suspect wearing on the night of the murder. Detectives also found a list in the center console of the SUV. The handwritten list included the following items:

   trench coat
   two boots
   LED light cap
   radios with mics
   window tinker
   wheel man
   check van scheduling/magnetic signs
   wipe tools down
   practice with pistol

Suckow was released from federal prison in September 2004.  According to authorities, he has two burglaries on his record in Spokane Superior Court.  He was also on the Department of Corrections supervision from 1984 to 1991.

Sources said Suckow had a phone number stored in his phone to James Henrikson.  Court records show Henrickson as a former business partner of the murder victim.


    WATCH: Douglas Carlile threatened by business partner

Sources told KREM 2 News those close to the victim have urged detectives to investigate the man Carlile did business with in North Dakota. Records stated that Carlile's life was threatened days prior to his murder and it all involved the business partner James Henrikson.

Henrikson claimed Carlile owed him $1.88 million according to court records.

According to court records, Carlile warned his family about Henrikson before he died. Carlile allegedly said, "if I disappear or wake up with bullets in my back, James Henrikson did it." Carlile was loaned a gun by one of his sons as a result of the conversation.

Henrikson and Carlile worked with several other men on two businesses in the oil fields in North Dakota. One businesses was a trucking company, Bridgewater Energy.  The second company specialized in oilfield development,  Kingdom Dynamics Enterprises.

Carlile’s wife told investigators that Bridgewater Energy had financial struggles. She said that her husband signed the trucking company over to two other men in October 2013. Carlile previously tried to sign the company over to Henrikson according to court records.

Documents stated that Henrikson assisted Carlile and two other men in acquiring an oil lease in North Dakota for $2 million. Kingdom Dynamics Enterprises was created to develop the oil lease. Henrikson was set to receive $1.2 million when the oil field started making a profit according to the victim’s widow. She added that Kingdom Dynamics Enterprises owed $400,000 and was looking for someone to buy out Henrikson. Carlile’s wife said Henrikson was upset about the prospect of being bought out.

Henrikson demanded $400,000 from Carlile’s son in early September 2013 according to detectives. Skyler Carlile told authorities that Henrikson said “something bad could happen to me and my family,” if he did not receive the money. Henrikson also threatened to sue him and his family according to Skyler Carlile’s interview with authorities. Skyler Carlile told authorities that he believed Henrikson had the ability to harm him.


     WATCH:  Woman claims Henrikson involved in disappearance

     WATCH: Police mention business partner in investigation

     WATCH: Victim’s business partner questioned after shooting

     WATCH: Business partner implicated in a disappearance

Detectives spoke with Henrikson on the phone three hours after Douglas Carlile’s murder.

Henrikson told authorities he was in North Dakota during the phone call, but declined to provide an address.

He stated that he was aware that Carlile had been shot. Henrikson said another man had texted him about Carlile’s murder. Henrikson admitted to being angry with Carlile over their oil lease. He also claimed that Carlile did not pay people the money that they were owed. He told authorities that Carlile owed him $1.88 million.

Henrikson denied killing Carlile and threatening him.

Detectives stated in court records that they had received a tip about Henrikson from an acquaintance. The man told authorities that he overheard Henrikson telling a business associate named Elton Hynson, “this job would pay the same as the last job.”  The acquaintance believed the last job was a reference to a man named Kristopher "K.C." Clarke according to court documents.

Clarke was Henrikson’s former operations manager who had vanished in February 2012.

The acquaintance described Hynson as Henrikson’s muscle in North Dakota. He claimed that Henrikson used Hynson to intimidate and beat up people that were causing Henrikson problems. Police listed Henrikson in the court documents as a suspect in Clarke’s disappearance.

Henrikson has not been named by Spokane Police as a suspect or person of interest in the Carlile murder case.