9-volt battery danger can spark fires

Print
Email
|

by TAYLOR VIYDO & KREM.com

KREM.com

Posted on February 26, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Updated Wednesday, Feb 26 at 7:21 PM

SPOKANE, Wash.--KREM 2 News’ 2 On Your Side found nine-volt batteries could post a serious fire hazard if not stored correctly.   

The batteries could start a fire if surrounded by the wrong items. Fire investigators across the country have blamed several home fires on the batteries.

"Fires have been attributed to 9-volt batteries where both the positive and negative leads have made contact with aluminum foil, or some type of pen that is metal, or some type of metallic object,” said Assistant Spokane Fire Chief Brian Schaeffer.

When the batteries make contact with those items, a small spark is created which could lead to a fire.

"We were curious just to see how hot a couple of these batteries would get if we put them together. It's been five minutes, we put a pair together… already 172 degrees,” said Schaeffer.

No nine volt caused fires have been reported in Spokane.

Schaeffer said it is up to the community to keep it that way. He said to make sure your nine-volts are separated if they are out of their packaging.

"It’s one of those very easy things, where if we take 5 minutes to do, to make sure, it may result in saving someone's life at the end of the day,” said Schaeffer.

Another tip is to cover the tops of your nine-volts with electrical tape to make sure that the tops of them never touch.

Print
Email
|