Chattaroy man loses arm during July windstorm



Posted on August 16, 2014 at 8:57 AM

Updated Saturday, Aug 16 at 12:51 PM

CHATTAROY, Wash. -- A Chattaroy man is fighting through recovery at St. Lukes Institute after a horrible accident during the July windstorm.

On July 23, Carl Evans was driving along Big Meadows Road in Chattaroy when he heard the storm warning come over the radio.

“Hit like a tornado and the trees were starting to sway. All of a sudden, next thing I know something hit the roof of the car,” said Evans.

WATCH: Deer Park cleans up after July storm

A tree branch flew through his windshield and drove him off the road. It severed his arm and impaled his hip.  He tried to call 911 but could not get through. An off duty paramedic stopped and helped him until emergency crews arrived. Luckily, the branch missed his spine and a major artery.

“If it were a centimeter off, it would have killed me,” said Evans.

He spent two and a half weeks at Sacred Heart. He then went to St. Luke’s Rehabilitation Institute in Spokane where he is learning the basics all over again.

MORE: Tree traps Chattaroy woman in mobile home

“It gives me a new outlook and hope for the rest of my life,’ said Evans.

He goes through physical therapy everyday and he practices daily tasks like getting in and out of bed.  He has maintained his sense of humor even though he lost his left arm and can barely walk.  He said it could have been worse and he thanks first responders for their quick actions.

“Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I’ll never forget what they did for me. The friendship and the support I’ve gotten from them is priceless,” said Evans.

READ: 70 mph winds destroy Deer Park Airport hangar

Evans said if everything goes as planned, he could be going home August 22. He hopes to be back on his feet by next spring. 

If you would like to help Evans with his medical expenses you can donate to Carl Evans at any US Bank branch.

If you would like to follow Evans progress click here.