Family in Pateros shocked to find home still standing

Print
Email
|

by HAYLEY GUENTHNER & KREM.com

KREM.com

Posted on July 22, 2014 at 11:42 AM

PATEROS, Wash. -- A family in Pateros was shocked to find their home still standing after the Carlton Complex fire came through their neighborhood.

David Gonzales and his three daughters were sure the home they have lived in for over a decade would be nothing more than a piled of ashes.

Despite brush and grass being scorched all around them, their home is fine.

The family said they left late Thursday after grabbing a change of clothes and a laptop. They did not have time to grab anything else. They said the fact their home was spared is nothing short of a miracle.

“The fire was on the hill and we are surrounded by all this dry grass. I feel so lucky. I can’t believe it I feel so lucky,” said Gonzales.

While the home is okay, he said his 4-year-old is still pretty traumatized and scared to go outside.

The entire community is still without water and electricity. The Gonzales’ are getting by with a generator and a garage full of water bottles.

Print
Email
|