1 dead, 3 injured in shooting at Seattle Pacific Univ.


by KING 5 News


Posted on June 5, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Updated Thursday, Jun 5 at 6:25 PM

SEATTLE -- Officials from Harborview Medical Center said a 20-year-old man is dead after a shooting at Seattle Pacific University on Thursday.

Seattle police reported that a lone suspect entered Otto Miller Hall on the university's campus, shot four victims before a student security guard disarmed the suspect with pepper spray as he began reloading. Other students then helped pin him down until the police arrived.



"The shooter began to reload his shotgun and a student that is the building monitor inside the hall confronted the shooter, was able to subdued the individual, and once on the ground, other students jumped on top of him and were able to pin the shooter to the ground until police arrived," said Seattle Police West Precinct Capt. Chris Fowler.

An SPU professor said he did not recognize the shooting suspect. He called the student who subdued the suspect a "hero who saved lives."

Three other victims were taken to Harborview. A spokesperson for the hospital said a 20-year-old woman is in critical condition and in surgery, a 24-year-old man and a 22-year-old man are in satisfactory condition.

The suspect was arrested and taken to police headquarters.

"You're visiting. Everything's beautiful, it's a beautiful campus. We're having a wonderful day spending time with one another, visiting. And then the dynamic completely changes and it's chaotic. It's very disturbing," said one parent who was visiting her daughter on campus.

SWAT was still clearing buildings on campus and looking for more victims.

Seattle Police initially tweeted they were searching for a second suspect on the campus, but later said no additional suspects were being sought.

The FBI is on scene offering assistance, which a spokesperson said is routine for any major incident.

Seattle Fire tweeted that the four victims were being taken to Harborview with injuries ranging from minor to life threatening. Medics were administering ongoing CPR to one man on the way to Harborview, SFD tweeted.

Harborview said that they are not expecting any more patients.

The shooting was reported at 3rd Avenue West and West Nickerson.

SPU said the school is no longer in lockdown and students have been evacuated. Previously, students were advised to not leave the buildings and to close window coverings and move away from the windows.

The university cancelled evening classes, but said in an email to staff and student that a prayer service would be held at 7 p.m. at the First Free Methodist church. In addition, staff was available to meet with students on campus at the Upper Gwinn Commons as well as in residence hall lobbies.

They advise to check their website and their Twitter account at @SPUnews for updates. Their emergency hotline number is 206-281-2800.

About 4,270 students attend the private Christian university, which was founded in 1891 by the Free Methodist Church of North America. Its 40-acre campus is in a residential neighborhood of Queen Anne, about 10 minutes from downtown Seattle.

King County Metro said a number of buses were rerouted off of West Nickerson Street: 13, 29, 31, 32 and 62.

Seattle Public Schools said some students were unable to get home or to after-school programs due to road closures. Buses are returning to the following elementary schools: Blaine, Queen Anne, Coe and John Hay.

Additionally, Lawton Elementary School in Magnolia was in shelter-in-place as a precaution.

Associated Press contributed to this report.