Back to back record winters are rare here in the Inland Northwest. But check out the numbers:
* 80.3 inches of snow so far. (46 inches is the average snowfall for an entire winter in Spokane.)
* 61.5 inches of December snow was the largest ever. The previous record for December snow was 56.9 in 1950.
* 19.4 inches fell on Dec. 17 breaking the previous 24-hour record of 13'' set in 1950.
* 24 inches fell on Dec. 17 & 18; another 6" arrived Christmas Eve.
* 17 inches fell the first week of January with 7 1/2-inches of that falling on Jan. 5.
Last year was the second snowiest winter on record with 92.5" of snowfall - and we didn't see our first significant snow until late January!
Even though I expect the middle portion of this month to be mostly dry we have plenty of winter left to add to our already hefty snowfall numbers.