GLENDALE, Ariz. – It is without a doubt the strangest Seahawks game in their history.

The Seahawks played to the first tie in franchise’s existence, posting a stalemate with the Arizona Cardinals 6-6 in overtime.

Both kickers had a chance to win it late in the extra session, but both missed to the left.

The Seahawks offense was atrocious until late in the fourth quarter, no thanks in large part to their offensive line which couldn’t give Russell Wilson the time he needed. But their defense and special teams were magnificent in keeping them in the game.

The Cardinals also blew multiple opportunities to put the game away in regulation.

The Arizona Cardinals dominated the time of possession -- 46:19 to 28:39; first downs – 23 to 11; total yards; 443 to 257; and penalties – 6 for 45 yards to 10 for 90 yards.

And yet, somehow, the Seahawks stayed in it to the bittersweet end.

Boxscore: Seahawks at Cardinals

A key play early was Bobby Wagner’s leap over Arizona long snapper Aaron Brewer on a field goal attempt. Wagner blocked the kick but was initially flagged after his foot made contact with Brewer. But the flag was picked up. NFL head of officiating Dean Blandino clarified on Twitter that it was not a penalty because Wagner did not land on Brewer’s back – he just brushed Wagner with his foot.

The Cardinals drove for another field goal attempt at the end of the half. But with no timeouts, Seahawks defensive end Frank Clark sacked Carson Palmer, forcing a fumble which was recovered by Arizona. Time ran out before the Cardinals could run another play.

A 46-yard field goal by Cardinals kicker Chandler Catanzaro was the only scoring in the first half.

Arizona had more missed opportunities in the second half. The Cardinals went for it on 4th and 1 at the Seahawks’ 19 with 4:28 left in the third quarter, but Arizona running back David Johnson was stopped short of the first down.

On the next drive, Seahawks receiver Tanner McEvoy fought through a block and deflected a punt deep in Cardinals territory. Seattle did just enough on the ensuing possession for a Steven Hauschka 40-yard field goal.
It stayed that way into overtime.

The Cardinals drove downfield on its first possession but settled for a Catanzaro 45-yard field goal. The Seahawks countered and tied it again with a Hauschka 36-yard field goal.

Now in sudden death, the Cardinals had a prime chance when they drove down to the 1-yard line. It appeared David Johnson may have reached the pylon, but the play was not reviewed.

The Cards set up for a game-winning field goal, but a delay of game penalty pushed it from a 19-yard attempt to 24 yards. And it turns out that was four yards too much. Catanzaro hit the left upright. Once again, Wagner lept over the line and Richard Sherman flew in from the Catanzaro’s right to disrupt the kick.

The Seahawks drove down for a 28-yard attempt with 11 seconds left, but Hauschka hooked it left.

The Cardinals had enough time for one last heave to the end zone, but the ball fell incomplete.