SPOKANE, Wash. – As we all dream of sugarplums and gumdrops as the holiday season gets into full swing, many of us often hope and wish for a white Christmas.
It turns out, if you live in the Inland Northwest, we are some of the most likely people in the nation to see snow on December 25.

Based on historical averages, Spokane has a 57 percent probability of having snow on the ground for the holiday. Coeur d’Alene has a 50 percent chance. Technically, for it to be considered a white Christmas, there has to be at least an inch of snow on the ground on the morning of December 25.

Last year, Spokane had five inches on the ground Christmas morning. In 2015, we had 11 inches of snow. In 2008, there was 20 inches of snow for the holiday!

The historic probability of at least 1 inch of snow on Christmas in the U.S. (NOAA)

Historic averages show in Wallace, there is an 81 percent likelihood, and Priest River has a 90 percent chance. However, further south in Lewiston there is only a 10 percent chance of a white Christmas.

Right now, long range forecasts show just a slight chance of snow for the Spokane area this Christmas.