DEER PARK, Wash. – A man was shot during an argument over drugs in Deer Park Tuesday evening, according to officials.

The victim said he went to his house at 27318 N. Dalton in Deer Park, Washington to find a man parked in his driveway.

The victim confronted the man which started an argument.

The male suspect moved his car to across the street and continued arguing with the victim.

A witness near the scene said she heard the victim and a man arguing outside.

The witness said she saw the man shove the victim.

The victim turned around to walk back to his house, and that is when the man pulled out a gun.

The suspect, later identified as Daniel L. Early, shot the victim.

The bullet hit the victim in the left side of his chest.

The witness said she helped the victim into her apartment and called 911.

The Spokane County Sheriff was called to North Dalton Road in Deer Park for a report of a shooting around 5:00 p.m.

Authorities said two men were fighting over drugs when one of the men pulled out a gun and shot the other.

Officials said 60 year-old Daniel Early called 911 and reported he had been assaulted by the victim and that he acted in self-defense.

Early said he went to the victim’s house to get a phone number from an unknown woman that was watching the house for the victim’s parents. Early told detectives another man, who Early did not like, was staying with the victim and was not supposed to be there.

Early said his intention was to go to the victim’s house to get the victim’s parents phone number, and call them to get the victim in trouble.

Early later changed his story, and said he also went there to confront the victim about the theft of some marijuana plants.

Detectives said Early initially denied fighting with the victim, until a detective told Early witnesses were at the scene and saw Early and the victim fighting.

Early admitted to shooting the victim twice, after the victim punched him in the face.

Early said he was afraid the victim was going to kick him in the head.

Early was charged with 1st degree assault.

The victim was airlifted to Sacred Heart Hospital in serious but stable condition.