SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. – The Spokane County Sheriff’s Office has a man in custody for allegedly choking his brother-in-law at a home on Saturday and then violently fighting with deputies and a K9 that were trying to arrest him.

According to deputies, on Saturday they were called to a home around East Alki Avenue and North Bessie Road in Spokane Valley for reports of an intoxicated male choking his juvenile brother-in-law.

When deputies arrived, the victim and the suspect's wife had locked themselves in a car parked in the driveway. Deputies were told the suspect, later identified as Dmitry Ivanchenko, 39, had begun choking the victim during an argument. The victim said he was having trouble breathing and began to lose consciousness. Deputies said red marks were visible around the neck of the victim.

Deputies gave several commands to Ivanchenko demanding he surrender. Dispatch told deputies that Ivanchenko was a convicted felon on robbery charges and a violent offender with a lengthy criminal history.

Eventually K9 units were called in to search for him but when he did not answer, deputies went inside the home and did not find him. They turned their attention to an unattached shop in the backyard. They again told Ivanchenko that he was under arrest and needed to surrender but he did not answer.

The K9 led deputies to a utility trailer full of boxes and garbage bags where Ivanchenko was hiding but he still refused to surrender. Once the K9 located him Ivanchenko began yelling and resisting arrest. Deputies said Ivanchenko hit the K9 and pulled on the area near his eyes as he continued to fight off being arrested.

Deputies had to use force to gain control of Ivanchenko and said they used their flashlight and a stick baton on him but he continued to fight. Deputies said he ignored their commands and jammed his hands into his pocket. Authorities said they feared for their life so one deputy hit Ivanchenko in the head with a baton and he was finally placed in custody.

When searched, deputies said Ivanchenko did not have a weapon. He was taken to a hospital to be treated for his injuries where he remains. Deputies said he will be taken to the Spokane County Jail and booked after he is released.

No deputies or the K9 were injuried during the incident.

Deputies said due to the level of force used, Major Crimes Detectives were called to the scene to investigate.