MOSCOW, Idaho – Architects at the University of Idaho are working to restore the Administration Building back to its historic charm.
The three-story Gothic era building, designed by Boise architect J.E. Tourtellote, was erected in the early 1900s. It replaced a four-story brick structure completed in 1899 that was later destroyed in a fire in 1906.
In the 1970s, the Admin Building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is one of four UI-owned buildings on the register.
The new renovations are part of a long-term effort by the university that began in 2000. The UI Facilities department has taken small steps throughout the last 17 years to bring the building’s character back.
This summer, the university will restore the three-story main entrance staircase, archways separating the hallways from the stairwell and will restore some of the structure’s exterior.
This summer’s interior renovations will cost about $1.3 million, while the exterior project will cost an additional $1 million. Both projects are made possible by money from the Idaho State Permanent Building Fund. The project will begin in early June and is expected to be complete in late October.