COEUR D’ALENE, Idaho – You may remember the story back in March about the giant metal die that turned up in Lake Coeur d’Alene. It turns out, that die may have been on a longer journey than initially thought.

Ed Shorts emailed KREM 2's Taylor Viydo a couple of weeks ago the tank first appeared in Cataldo -- in 2001. He said the tank washed up on his property along the Cd’A river and then washed away during the floods of 2008.

Short said something strange caught his eye along the Coeur d'Alene River near Cataldo.

"Literally, it looked like it had been there one hundred years," he said.

This giant metal tank, buried in the riverbank.

"I swear to God, it would look like it would take an excavator to pull it out of there," Short said.

Short said he does not know how the tank arrived there. It would sit there though for some time, until Mother Nature had other plans.

In 2008, Short arrived on his property and the tank was gone. Little would Ed know that would bet he start of what would be quite the journey.

"The river solved my problem for me," Short said.

During the flooding of 2008, the die -- which was still just a tank -- washed away.

That is the same time when Chris Gridley said it washed up on his family's property on Driftwood Point. The Gridley's own a sign shop in Spokane, and after being tired of looking at the plain tank for years, in 2012 they made the dots to create the die.

That means in 2008, the tank washed 26 miles down the Coeur d'Alene River. It entered the lake near Harrison, and then headed north to Driftwood Point.

Fast forward to March and high waters would again push the die north -- all the way to Downtown Coeur d'Alene and onto our airwaves.

"When I saw your clip, I did the double take," Short said, "I said 'you know what, I've seen that tank.'"

What are the odds?

From 26 miles up the river, to two beaches on the lake, and then eventually to a park where it will become public art. The giant metal die is lucky in more ways than one.

"It's a funny story about a gas tank of all things," Short said.

The Legend of The Die: A timeline of the die's incredible journey

Ed Short tells KREM 2's Taylor Viydo that the giant metal die actually first showed up in Cataldo -- in 2001. Back then it was just a plain giant tank. It turns out, that tank has been on a much longer journey than initially thought.

2001: Giant die first spotted by Ed Shorts in Cataldo, Idaho

Flood waters carried the tank all the way to Driftwood Point in 2008. After staring at for five years, Chris and his wife Michelle decided to paint the tank in the form of a giant die in 2012. It would remain with them until it floated away in March.

2008: Flood waters carry the die up near the property of Chris Gridley. After staring at the plain tank, they paint it in the form of a die in 2012.

Finally, in March 2017, viewers reported to KREM 2 about a giant die that had washed up on the shore of Lake Coeur d'Alene near the Resort. The City has since decided to place the die in a park where it will become public art.

2017: Giant die washes up on the shore of Lake Coeur d'Alene